How to host an au pair from the EU

Which entry regulations apply to your au pair? Which documents should your EU au pair apply for? Here, you will find important information about au pair regulations for EU nationals in Belgium.

Register as a family

This page provides you with information on au pairs who are from an EU country.

If you are on the wrong page, you can switch to the information page for au pairs from a non-EU country.

Step 1: Ask your au pair to check the validity of his or her passport

EU or EFTA citizens do not need an entry visa to come to Belgium. Make sure that your au pair holds a valid passport or identity card.

Step 2: Your au pair should register with your municipality upon arrival

If your au pair is to stay in Belgium longer than 3 months, they must register with your municipality upon arrival. As an EU or EFTA citizen, the au pair does not need a residence permit in Belgium but has to register with the municipality. The au pair will need to bring their passport or identity card. Besides, au pairs in Belgium are not allowed to undertake any other paid work during their stay.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.