Information for au pairs from non-EU countries

Are you a non-EU citizen? Have you already done the Quick Check? On this page, formalities and visa requirements to travel to Belgium are explained to you step by step.

Are you an EU or EFTA citizen? In this case, other regulations apply to you. Please click here.

Step 1: Check the validity of your passport

Make sure that you hold a valid passport before planning your trip. The passport should be valid for at least year.

Step 2: Ask your host family to apply for an employment authorisation and a work permit

All nationals of non-EU countries need a valid work permit to be allowed to work as an au pair in Belgium. You must not have already had a work permit in Belgium before. It is your host family who will have to apply for an employment authorisation and a type B work permit for your stay. The application must be submitted to the immigration service of their region (Brussels, Flanders or Wallonia). 

The employment authorisation and the work permit remain valid for 12 months and cannot be extended. You are allowed to change families one time provided the total duration of your stay in Belgium doesn't exceed one year. Another important aspect: you are not allowed to accept another paid job during your au pair stay.

Step 3: Apply for a visa

Stay for less than 3 months

If you wish to stay for less than three months in Belgium, you will have to apply for a short-term visa (visa Schengen C). Please note, however, that some countries are excluded from this visa. At any rate, au pairs must meet the entry requirements in the Schengen area for a short stay. For detailed information, please contact the responsible immigration office.

Stay between 3 and 12 months

If you wish to stay for more than three months in Belgium, you will have to apply for a D-type Schengen visa at the Belgian embassy or consulate in your country of residence. They will ask you to hand in the following documents:

  • a valid passport
  • the type B work permit that your host family applied for
  • a medical certificate, completed and signed within the last 6 months by a doctor approved by the Belgian embassy
  • a recent judicial record 

Step 4: Register with the municipality of your host family upon arrival

Upon your arrival in Belgium, you are to register with the municipality of your host family within 8 days. Do not forget to bring your D-type Schengen visa and your passport.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.