Information for au pairs from the EU

EU and EFTA citizens do not need a visa to enter Austria. Have you already done the Quick Check? Find out what you need to take into account. Please follow our step-by-step guide.

Step 1: Check the validity of your passport or identity card

Make sure that you hold a valid passport or identity card before you plan your trip. EU and EFTA nationals do not need an entry visa to Austria.

Are you from a non-EU or non-EFTA state? Or are you Croatian? In this case, you should click here.

Step 2: Apply for a resident's registration document

Au pairs who are EU nationals or nationals of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland do not need a residence permit. Should their stay, however, be longer than 3 months, they will need to obtain a resident's registration document from the so-called Aufenthaltsbehörde, the Immigration, Citizenship and Registry Office in Austria.

Exception: citizens of Croatia.

Step 3: Ask your host family to register you with the Austrian social insurance

You need to register with the Austrian legal social insurance (according to the General Social Insurance Act, ASVG) so as to become an au pair. Make sure that your host family has taken this issue into consideration.

You can find more information on our page: Contract, insurance, driving licence & Co.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.