Entry requirements for au pairs

To be able to work as an au pair in Australia, your au pair needs a visa. This page will provide you with the necessary information on which type of visa is right for your au pair. 

Register as a family

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)
For au pairs from: Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, South Korea and Taiwan For au pairs from:  Argentina, Austria, Bangladesh, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay, the USA or Vietnam

Citizens from New Zealand can enter Australia without a visa. They receive a Special Category Visa (SCV) upon their arrival. More information on this topic can be found in the Frequently asked questions of the Australian Embassy.

Is a student visa a viable alternative for my au pair?

Does your au pair come from a different country? In this case, he or she can possibly apply for a student visa to become an au pair in Australia. Please consult the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship to find out if your au pair meets the necessary criteria.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.