The Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

Do you meet all the necessary requirements to become an au pair in Australia on a Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)? Find out how to apply here.


To apply for a Working Holiday visa, you need to be aged 18 to 30 and be a citizen of one of the following countries: Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, South Korea, Sweden and Taiwan.

Furthermore, you need to meet other criteria, the most important of which can be found in our Quick Check or on the official page for the Working Holiday Visa of the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

How to apply for the Working Holiday visa

Step 1: Check if your passport is valid

To apply for your Working Holiday visa, you need a valid passport, which the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection recommends is valid for at least another 6 months after you have handed in your application.

Step 2: Apply for your Working Holiday visa

There are various ways to apply for a Working Holiday visa: by post, in person or online.

Applying by post or in person

You can send applications in written form to the respective Australian Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence. To ensure that your application is processed, you need to hand in the following documents: the application form for the Working Holiday visa (form 1150) fully filled in and a certified copy of all pages of your passport which carry your photo and personal details. Citizens of certain countries additionally need to provide their biometric data. 

Applying online

You can also apply for your Working Holiday visa online. You must provide all important documents and pay the visa fee by credit card.

Once you have applied, the authorities will check your application, and may ask you to provide further information, if required. Should your visa be approved, you will receive a notification by post or e-mail. You should always have this notification at hand, as it describes your visa conditions.

Your visa will be electronically linked to your passport number, indicated on your visa application. You can always check your visa online via the free online service VEVO.
Unless the Department states otherwise, you usually don't need a visa sticker in your passport. Should you need to provide it, you will receive your visa sticker at any Departmental Office in Australia. 

Working Holiday visa conditions

The visa is valid for 12 months. If you apply for it from outside Australia, the start date will be the day you enter Australia. As a Working Holiday Maker you may not work for the same employer for more than six months. On the other hand, au pairs entering Australia on a Working Holiday visa, on the other hand, are allowed to stay with their host families for up to 12 months if given signed permission by an Immigration Secretary or by signing a Form 1445.

Once you arrive to Australia

Regardless of the visa you applied for to arrive to Australia, au pairs need a so called "Working With Children Check" when providing childcare. Depending on the state, there are different names and procedures:

In most cases, au pairs can work while the application is being processed with some exceptions. Please check them in the aforementioned websites.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.