How to become an au pair in Australia

In order to become an au pair in Australia a visa is required. Find out which type of visa you need to apply for on the corresponding pages.

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)
For au pairs from: Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, South Korea and Taiwan For au pairs from: Argentina, Austria, Bangladesh, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay, the USA or Vietnam

Citizens from New Zealand can enter Australia without a visa. They obtain a Special Category Visa (SCV) upon arrival. More information on this topic can be found in the Frequently Asked Questions of the Australian Embassy.

Is a student visa a viable alternative for you?

Are you from a different country? In this case, you can possible apply for a student visa to become an au pair in Australia. Please contact the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship to find out if you meet the necessary criteria.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.